Paws for Healing (PFH)
What They Do:
Mend hearts, provide comfort, and bring joy during dog-to-person visits by trained Canine Assisted Teams of a friendly dog and their loving handler. PFH provides training—teams provide love! Teams visit frail, infirm, or elderly at health care sites, as well as students in schools and libraries with Paws for Reading.
Trained canine therapists have the uncanny ability to bring out the best in people–even those who are hurt and struggling!
Paws for Healing (PFH) recruits loving dog owners with friendly dogs who participate in specialized classes and evaluation by professional canine trainers. Dogs are temperament-tested and evaluated for safety and friendliness. This ensures the dog is obedient and controllable and the handler is firm but caring. A seasoned PFH mentor then provides facility-based training and final certification. Teams make over 10,000 visits per year and we have over 200 active teams.
Other Ways to Help:
- Become a Canine Assistance Team volunteer.
- Provide training and expertise on related topics such as elder care, literacy, and “difficult” patients.
- Invite PFH to a site.
- Help with our “Santa Paws” event.
- Graphic artist needed to assist with promotional materials.
- Assist with social media.
- Provide opportunities to share PFH with service groups.
- Help with trainings (organize, make phone calls, help with set-up).
- Help with volunteer recognition.
- new projectors for training
- new computer for classes
- small gifts for volunteer appreciation (including doggie toys)
- funds for advertising
Mello Sales Group, PFH’s primary business partner, is a family-centered, Napa-based business that distributes pet industry products. They supply PFH with pet products and assist with marketing and strategic planning.
Terry Longoria in honor of Joan Murphy -who loves to see the dogs come to Aegis!
Cathy Sullivan in honor of All my beautiful and loving pets.
Anonymous in honor of Quinn